Talk it Up – Young Parents and Child Protection
A young parents workshop conducted in 2013.
In 2013 the Youth Advocacy Centre ran a series of workshops with young parents called ‘Talk it Up’ Young Parents, Child Protection and Advocacy. The workshops were delivered in partnership with: Brisbane Youth Service – Centre for Young Families; Zig Zag Women’s Resource Centre; Young Parents Program and the CREATE Foundation Queensland.
The aim of those workshops was to inform young parents and prospective parents of their legal rights and responsibilities within the Child Protection system.
The content was delivered in an interactive style with a focus on the participants developing advocacy skills so they can support themselves and their peers with interactions within the Child Protection system.
This video, produced from the workshops. gives tips and advice to young parents about how to deal with the child protection system.
Here is a post card which gives contact details for agencies who can help.
Please feel free to use our boardgame resource below. A fun educational tool for young parents:
Street address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Mailing address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Tel: (07) 3356 1002
Bussiness hours: 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri
If you need urgent assistance outside of these hours:
- Youth Legal Advice Hotline 1800 527 527 (Mon to Thurs 8am - 9pm, Friday 8am to Sunday 5pm)
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Homelessness Hotline 1800 474 753 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- If you are over 18, and seeking access to Mental Health Services in Queensland, Acute Care Team on 1300 MHCALL (1300 64 2255).