Family Support Service
About Family Support
YAC’s Family Support worker works with young people aged 10 to 18 and their families – but only with the agreement of the young person.
- Young people to re-build relationships within their families and communities
- put strategies in place to make things better at home for the young person, their parents and siblings
- parents to better understand, support, and advocate for, their young person
- at court, by going with the young person and their family and providing a report for the court where appropriate
Why we offer Family Support
Family is important in young people’s lives. The Preamble to the Convention on the Rights of the Child notes:
Convinced that the family, as the fundamental group of society and the natural environment for the growth and well-being of all its members and particularly children, should be afforded the necessary protection and assistance so that it can fully assume its responsibilities within the community.
However, families and family relationships can be problematic. Through family support, YAC seeks to help parents to be better able to help and support their young person and re-establish positive relationships with them.
YAC family support work is very varied, responsive to the needs and situation of the young person. Often our young clients, and/or their parents, have experienced significant trauma, which is now a significant factor in their presenting issues. Sometimes, after seeing how family support is working with their sibling, a sister or brother will self-refer.
“Family” can include a variety of situations and relationships, not uncommonly grandparents and sometimes older siblings. YAC works with the person or people who are willing and able to provide the young person with the home environment or support they need.
Family Support Service can help:
- Repair relationships
- Improve home environments
- Increase parents understanding of children's needs
- Improve communication in the family
For more information contact us on (07) 3356 1002.
Street address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Mailing address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Tel: (07) 3356 1002
Bussiness hours: 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri
If you need urgent assistance outside of these hours:
- Youth Legal Advice Hotline 1800 527 527 (Mon to Thurs 8am - 9pm, Friday 8am to Sunday 5pm)
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Homelessness Hotline 1800 474 753 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- If you are over 18, and seeking access to Mental Health Services in Queensland, Acute Care Team on 1300 MHCALL (1300 64 2255).