Youth Advocacy & Policy Reform
YAC has been advocating for change regarding youth justice issues for over 40 years.
YAC engages in discussions on issues affecting young people, and provides expert opinions and experiences of young people to Government and the community in order to bring about positive change.
Our research and policy work are informed by our casework, and by young people’s experiences, and we actively encourage young people to provide feedback on the services and systems that affect them to help inform this work.
For a detailed overview of the failings of the Queensland youth justice system: JRI - Queensland State of Incarceration
For an overview of alternatives to incarceration in Queensland: JRI - Alternatives to Incarceration for Queensland
How you can help:
We believe it is our responsibility as a community to come together to support vulnerable children and young people.
You can help our mission by:
- Following us on social media or join our mailing list to engage with the latest news and events
- Making a donation
- Sharing our cause with your friends or family
- Joining us at rallies and other events
Street address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Mailing address: Level 4, 16 Peel Street, South Brisbane Q 4101
Tel: (07) 3356 1002
Bussiness hours: 9am - 5pm, Mon - Fri
If you need urgent assistance outside of these hours:
- Youth Legal Advice Hotline 1800 527 527 (Mon to Thurs 8am - 9pm, Friday 8am to Sunday 5pm)
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- Homelessness Hotline 1800 474 753 (24/7, 365 days per year)
- If you are over 18, and seeking access to Mental Health Services in Queensland, Acute Care Team on 1300 MHCALL (1300 64 2255).